The Sultanah Bahiyah Library, Universiti Utara Malaysia had its genesis when the University was established in 1984 in the temporary campus located in Bandar Baru Darulaman. When the university campus in Sintok, Kedah was ready for operations in 1990, the library was among the pioneer departments to move in. The university campus is located at Sintok, Kedah; 48 kilometers north of Alor Setar, the capital of Kedah and 10 kilometers east of Changlun, a small town on the North-South Highway. Set on 926 hectares of forest and former tin mining land interspersed with streams and small lakes, it is one of the most beautiful campuses in the region. The campus is near Bukit Kayu Hitam, a new township on the Malaysia-Thai borders.
The library is housed in two buildings situated in the heart of the campus. It is equipped with the most up-to-date facilities for the use of students and staff. The 35, 766sq meter building has a seating capacity of up to 1600 persons including discussion and carrel rooms. The library was officially opened by His Royal Highness Al-Sultan Almu’Tasimu Billahi Muhibbuddin Tuanku Alhaj Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Badlishah, The Sultan of Kedah on 21st September 1999. The library is named after the late, Her Royal Highness Almarhumah Tuanku Hajjah Bahiyah binti Almarhum Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Sultanah of Kedah.
20total visits,3visits today