Perpustakaan Sultanah Bahiyah UUM has continuously practiced the 5S culture which were adapted from the Japanese lean manufacturing methodology. It has been part of Malaysia government departments cultural since 1980's and we strive to ensure that the practices are well-maintained in the library environment not only in our work place but also in our public spaces.
Governance of 5S@PSB UUM
1. Ensure a conducive working environment.
2. Ensure a continuous 5S practices and implementation.
3. To sow a tight cooperation spirit among the library staffs.
4. Ensure the customer satisfaction and comfort level are well maintained at maximum level.
The 5S practices in PSB UUM were divided by zoning area and named after a type of gemstone as below:
In effort to manage and implement the 5S practices, the Committee has create a Gantt Chart as a reference to our staffs while organized their stipulated zone's in yearly basis. For 2020, the chart is pictured as below :
The Library has achieved numerous awards, recognition and benchmark on its effort of 5S practices since it was established in 1984. Among those are:
- 2003 - Third Place 5S Competition Inter Department UUM
- 2006 - Third Place 5S Practices Competition Division A Category
- 2007 - Second Place 5S Practices Competition Division A Category
- 2008 - Fifth Place 5S Practices Competition Inter Department UUM
- 2009 - Winner of the Quality Practices and Innovation Evaluation (5S)
- 2010 - Winner of the Quality Practices and Innovation Evaluation (5S)
- 2011 - Second Place of the Quality Practices and Innovation Evaluation (5S)
- 2012 - Second Place of the Quality Practices and Innovation Evaluation (5S)
- 2013 - Winner of the Quality Practices and Innovation Evaluation (5S)
- 2014 - Quality Environment Practice (5s/QE), university level
- 2015 - Winner of the Quality Practices and Innovation Evaluation (5s/QE) 2014
- 2016 - Third Place of the Quality Practices and Innovation Evaluation (5S/QE) 2015
- 2017 - Third placed in Quality Environment Practice 5S/QE award for 2016
In effort to spark an interest to 5S practices, the committee has created an annual competition among the zone's. It is focused on the 5S activities and innovation that has been practiced by each zone and determine which is the best. In doing so it is hope that the staffs are well motivated to participate in 5S cultural etiquette and keep their inclusive zone environment in order not only for themselves but also for library users.
Best 5S Zone
2016 - | 2019 - Baiduri Zone | 2020 -
As an incentive for the zone's in implementing the 5S practices, the Committee has set a yearly sum of RM200 per zone's in order to undertake their activities and needs. With this allocation, every stipulated zone can organized their own activities expenses and tools acquisition. Hence the 5S practices can be implemented without any obstacles especially among the staffs.
To increase the awareness among library staffs on the environment practices of 5S, the Committee also produce an award of 5S Best Practice for Staff. In doing so library staffs indirectly practice the 5S methodology in their daily work and contribute to the dissemination of 5S culture.
Regularly, the library 5S Committee will arrange a meeting to discuss and manage 5S activities. These meeting are usually attended by the head of zone's and the main committee as well as meeting among the zone's itself.
News & Gallery
What is 5S?
5S is a systematic form of visual management utilizing everything from floor tape to operations manuals. It is not just about cleanliness or organization; it is also about maximizing efficiency and profit. 5S is a framework that emphasizes the use of a specific mindset and tools to create efficiency and value. It involves observing, analyzing, collaborating, and searching for waste and also involves the practice of removing waste.
5S, sometimes referred to as 5s or Five S, refers to five Japanese terms used to describe the steps of the 5S system of visual management. Each term starts with an S. In Japanese, the five S's are Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu, and Shitsuke. In English, the five S's are translated as Sort, Set in Order, Shine, Standardize, and Sustain.
The Purpose of 5S
The purpose of 5S is to make a workplace function better by making it an easier place to work. This occurs by making spaces make sense; tools and materials are placed in logical locations based on who needs them, how frequently they're needed, etc. Spaces are cleaned regularly. Cleaning and organization become habits. When used correctly, 5S ultimately makes processes safer and more efficient.
5 Key Practices
Seiri | Sort | Sisih
Sort through materials, keeping only the essential items needed to complete tasks. (This action involves going through all the contents of a workspace to determine which are needed and which can be removed. Everything that is not used to complete a work process should leave the work area.)
Seiton | Set in Order | Susun
Ensure that all items are organized and each item has a designated place. Organize all the items left in the workplace in a logical way so they make tasks easier for workers to complete. This often involves placing items in ergonomic locations where people will not need to bend or make extra movements to reach them.
Seiso | Shine | Sapu
Proactive efforts to keep workplace areas clean and orderly to ensure purpose-driven work. This means cleaning and maintaining the newly organized workspace. It can involve routine tasks such as mopping, dusting, etc. or performing maintenance on machinery, tools, and other equipment.
Seiketsu | Standardize | Seragam
Create a set of standards for both organization and processes. In essence, this is where you take the first three S's and make rules for how and when these tasks will be performed. These standards can involve schedules, charts, lists, etc.
Shitsuke | Sustain | Senantiasa
Sustain new practices and conduct audits to maintain discipline. This means the previous four S's must be continued over time. This is achieved by developing a sense of self-discipline in employees who will participate in 5S.
The information's and contents on Environmental Practices of 5S@PSB UUM are provided by the 5S Committee. For any queries contact :
- PSB UUM 5S Practices - Rahimah Ishak (6049283663) | Siti Suriyani Muhamad (6049283638)
- Webpage Contents of 5S - User Experience Service Unit (049283685/3686)
5S@PSB UUM website page was produced by UX Unit, PSB UUM. For any queries related to the page contents, please contact : UX Unit (049283685/3686),