Verification of Plagiarism Checking (VPC) is a formal application by postgraduate students to qualify their Research Papers, Proposals or Thesis before they proceed for Proposal Defense, VIVA, Pre-VIVA or Correction Done After VIVA. This requirement is mandatory for UUM’s postgraduate schools or schools.
Effective on 1st January 2020, students need to apply the application via UUM Portal. Any application through counter or emails are no longer accepted beginning on the effective date.
The library acts as a third party in announcing the official result. The aim is to avoid bias in results (Similarity Index). Therefore, we have set the default assignment setting for originality check as listed below:
- YES – Exclude bibliographic materials from Similarity Index.
- YES – Exclude quoted materials from Similarity Index.
- YES – Exclude small matches by 5 words count.
- Submit paper option is no repository.
- Search option consists of:
- Student paper repository.
- Institution paper repository.
- Current and archived internet.
- Periodicals, journals and publications
The following guidelines are based on library requirements for VPC application. Supervisors and students are encouraged to follow these guidelines to avoid being rejected at the library level.
- The inspection is limited for:
- PhD Students - Proposal Defense, Pre-VIVA, VIVA, Correction Done After VIVA.
- Master Students - Project Paper and Research Paper.
- The application must be made by postgraduate students through UUM Portal https://portal.uum.edu.my/
- Library did not perform plagiarism inspection for journal publication, book chapters, conference paper etc. Supervisors are responsible for doing inspections on student document using their respective Turnitin accounts.
- The application will be processed within 3 working days after it has been endorsed by the Supervisor.
- Ensure the document meet the following requirements:
- Compile the cover page, chapters and reference list in one document file (.doc/.docx).
- Remove preliminary pages such as table of content, permission to use, abstract and etc, and appendices.
- Finalize and remove review tracking.
- File did not exceed than 40MB.
- Document file did not exceed than 400 pages. If it happens, please reduce font size or spacing.
- The file format is in Microsoft Word. Allowed file types are .doc and .docx only.
- Named the file by combining student name and matric number.
- Check and make sure the document did not contain the following tricks to deceive the Similarity Index:
- Misused of quotation mark (“…”) in the document.
- Purposely spelled wrong word in the document.
- Remove some content, table or diagram from the document.
- Any tricks and attempts to deceive the Similarity Index.
- Exclusion is limited only to the student publication. Therefore, the supervisor is responsible to insert the list in remarks section. To avoid missing information, students are advised to provide their list of publication(s) to the supervisor. Any notification by email or phone call will not be entertained.
|1. Submitted to hrmars.org – 15%. The press as a watchdog for accounting fraud. 2. Submitted to emeraldinsight.com – 4%. Faculty Supervise and Mentor Pre-Service Teachers: Implications for Principal Supervision of Novice Teachers.|
Note: Data as above may be obtained, if the supervisor does the early inspection.
- Upon approval of the supervisor, if there is additional information regarding student publication, the student need to re-apply. Kindly ensure the supervisor has Rejected the previous submission before the student request a new submission.
- For student who wish to re-apply, kindly ensure the previous application has been rejected either by the supervisor nor the librarian or the application status was completed.
- Any technical error due to “Standard Paper Repository” setting like saved into another institution’s account or UUM’s account, it is mandatorily prohibited to be excluded. Please deal with the institution Turnitin Administrator to delete the paper permanently.
- The result will be notified through UUM Portal. Please check the result after 3 working days after it has been endorsed by the supervisor.
- The library reserved the right to cancel the application if did not meet the requirements. We are not responsible for any eventuality.
a. For Supervisors/Academic Staff
b. For Students
Excluding sources mean remove individual sources matched with our document. Excluding a source will adjust the Similarity Index accordingly. For example, exclude specific websites or publications.
However, in VPC process of excluding sources are limited to student publication(s) only. Therefore, the supervisors are compulsory to list all the student’s publication in remark section after they click on approve button.
Any technical error due to “standard paper repository” setting like saved into another institution’s account or UUM’s account, it is mandatorily prohibited to be excluded. Please deal with the institution Turnitin Administrator to delete the paper permanently.
Upon approval of the supervisor, if there is additional information regarding student publication, the student need to re-apply.
Paper deletion means a submitted paper can be permanently deleted from the Turnitin database so that it cannot longer be a searchable source. To delete a paper from the Turnitin database please adhere to the following guidance:
1. Paper removal requests are done on a case-by-case basis.
2. Paper deletion from Turnitin’s Repository was limited for matched source from “Submitted to Universiti Utara Malaysia” only.
3. Only instructor (Turnitin account owner) can request from UUM Turnitin Administrator (UTA) to paper delete/remove from Turnitin. Students need to contact their instructors if they intend to do this.
4. Email your request to email@example.com . Staff are mandatory to provide details as below to the UTA:
5. UTA does not has access to the files (the respective paper IDs) nor does UTA perform the removal directly. UTA must send the request to the Turnitin. This process might take several days.
The information's and contents on Verification of Plagiarism Checking (VPC) for UUM Postgraduates were provided by the Reference and Information Service Division. For any queries or information related, please contact :
Reference and Information Service Division,
Level 1, New Building,
Perpustakaan Sultanah Bahiyah.
604 – 928 3635 / 3636 / 3638 / 3639
Download the Guidelines and User Guide
Download the Guidelines and User Guide by scanning the QR Code or by clicking the link provided.
|Scan QR code|